top of page

When Can a Mechanic Be Held Accountable for a Car Accident?

It's an unfortunate reality that not all car accidents are caused solely by the drivers involved. In some instances, a mechanic who performed subpar work can be found liable for the ensuing accident. So, what does it take to hold a mechanic responsible for your auto accident?

The Duty Mechanics Owe to Customers

Mechanics have an obligation to perform repairs using a reasonable standard of care. When a mechanic fails to meet this standard and that failure leads to an accident, the mechanic could be held legally liable for damages, which may include injuries, property damage, and more.

Common Failures Resulting from Mechanic Negligence

Various types of mechanical failures can be traced back to a mechanic's subpar work. These include, but aren't limited to:

  • Brake Failures: From worn brake pads to leaking brake fluid, negligent maintenance can lead to hazardous brake issues.

  • Tire Malfunctions: Poorly performed tire repairs or installations can cause problems such as blowouts, leading to sudden loss of vehicle control.

  • Steering and Transmission Problems: Issues that cause a car to stall or lose steering capabilities can also be attributed to mechanic negligence.

Making the Case For Mechanic Liability

To win a case against a negligent mechanic, you must establish:

  1. Duty of Care: You need to show that you were a customer, which can often be done with a bill or receipt.

  2. Breach of Duty: You must demonstrate that another mechanic with similar expertise would not have made the same mistake.

  3. Causation: You have to prove that the mechanic’s failure is what led to your accident.

  4. Damages: Lastly, you must show that you incurred losses due to the accident, such as medical bills or property damage.

Establishing mechanic liability can be a complicated process. If you find yourself in such a situation, contact Phillips & Associates for a free consultation today. You will immediately be put in touch with John Phillips or Patrick DiFilippo, who can help determine whether you have a case and advise you on the best course of action moving forward.


bottom of page